Thursday, March 24, 2011

Self-Evaluation

So this past week I tried working on getting a skeleton to display using webGL. Unfortunately, I wasn't entirely successful. I spent most of the time looking at sample webGL code, looking at the asf/amc parser code Joe sent, and figuring out how I would go about even doing something like this. Lu clued me into something called o3d that builds on webGL, allowing developers to create interactive 3D applications. Looks like something I can use, so I was trying to get a sample o3d program to display. Due to stupid mistakes on my part, it took a lot longer than it should. But you can see it here, in case you're wondering.

I met with David today to go over the sketches I had done. He suggested that I don't abstract the data as much, which is really valuable and helpful advice. I agree with him, as some of them (particularly this one and this one) are hard to read and interpret at first glance. They involve kind of a significant learning curve, which I don't think is the best thing to display in search results. I'm not ruling them out though – they may be more appropriate for an advanced view.

Self-evaluation:
Honestly, I have a lot left to do. By the beta review, I'd like to have a skeleton up and running. After that, I need to mock up a visualization and do a quick and small user study before the demo day. For that study, the "moviz" webpage will be hard coded and won't actually interact with any databases. This page shouldn't be hard to do.

I feel like I could be doing more, and I don't know if it's because I'm a relatively slow coder/slow to pick up new programming languages or because it's second semester senior year and I'm mentally exhausted, but I'm not happy with the schedule I'm on/my progress so far. I expected to code, but I didn't expect to do this much with gl, and I wasn't entirely prepared for that given the last time I touched openGL was a year and a half ago. I went into this project hoping to work with Processing, but things changed and I need to adapt to that. Hopefully I'll get everything I want done in time.

Also, my computer severely lags whenever I have a webGL page running. It's really annoying.

1 comments:

Lu said...

"I don't know if it's because I'm a relatively slow coder/slow to pick up new programming languages or because it's second semester senior year and I'm mentally exhausted"

^ Totally feel this too :( Mentally exhausted is exactly how I feel right now.

Post a Comment